The Earl Grey Tea House is open daily from 10.30am for indoor and outdoor service.
Visit www.theearlgreyteahouse.com for more information, menu and tearoom events.
You will find The Earl Grey Tea House situated in the East Quadrant of Howick Hall. During the 1928 rebuild, the quadrant had been converted into a kitchen, pantry, larders, store rooms, and servants hall. Consequently all were stripped out in 2003 and the room restored to its original shape as a ballroom.
The Story of Earl Grey tea and Howick Hall
Howick is the home of Earl Grey Tea! It was specially blended by a Chinese mandarin for Charles, 2nd Earl Grey to suit the water from the spring at Howick by using bergamot in particular to offset the taste of the lime in it. Lady Grey used it to entertain in London as a political hostess and it proved so popular that she was asked if it could be sold to others, which is how Twinings came to market it and it is now sold worldwide. Sadly the Greys, being unbusinesslike, failed to register the trade mark and as a result they have never received a penny in royalties!
Paintings in the Earl Grey Tea House
Within the Tea House are two very large paintings by James Northcote, which were commissioned by Lord Grey in 1809. They depict two biblical scenes: ‘Daniel in the Lion’s Den’ and ‘The Disobedient Prophet’. Above the mantelpiece is a 19th Century copy of the portrait by Sir Thomas Lawrence of 2nd Earl Grey painted in 1828.
A Family Run Business
The Earl Grey Tea House is run by Mary and Karen Jamieson. Mary, the youngest daughter of the retired Head Woodman at Howick, Andrew Jamieson Snr, was born and bred at Howick, while Karen is her sister-in-law, thereby giving the Tea House an old estate feel. They serve a variety of teas, home made and local produce, snacks and light lunches. Visit www.theearlgreyteahouse.com for more info, menu and tearoom events.