The Chinese Room and Old Dining Room were restored in 2019.
The main purpose is to give our visitors somewhere to relax in either before or after their tour.
All the restoration work was carried out by local contractors under the supervision of Colin Williams (who also designed the Visitor Centre).
The Chinese Room used to be the Breakfast Room before the War and became the Dining Room after 1945.
Originally painted a pale yellow; we have now reproduced the hand painted Chinese wallpaper from the landing on the 1st floor of the Hall.
A Grand Piano, a Bosendorfer, recently restored by Chantrey Pianos in Oxford stands within the room. It apparently has a rare 19th century ‘Viennese action’ of interest to the very musical.
Together with the piano stool, they have been given to us by Lord and Lady Howick’s son-in-law, Marcus Laithwaite, who inherited both items from his parents.
The Old Dining Room is the only room restored by Sir Herbert Baker to exactly what it was before the 1926 fire and is therefore the only internal link to the 1776 building.
Its use changed from the main living room in 1925 to the Dining Room until 1945.
Various family portraits hang in this room, a guide to which can be found within.